Digital Data


Phone, data or alarm cabling?
Play it safe – only use a registered cabler

A registered cabler can install or repair all communications cabling in your home or office.

Are you building or renovating? Thinking about where to put your phone sockets? Talk to a registered cabler.

You are free to choose any registered cabler to do the telephone cabling in your home or office.

When choosing a cabler, you should ask to see proof of registration.

If the cabler is registered, he or she will have a telecommunications cabling registration card.

Communications cabling work must be done by a registered cabler.

Are you building?

If you are building a new house, a registered cabler can do all the communications cabling in your house. You then need to call your chosen phone company to request connection to its network.

Are you renovating?

If you’re renovating your home or office, a registered cabler can rewire the communications cabling or add extra phone sockets.

If you want an additional phone line with a new number, your registered cabler can install all the cabling and sockets for you. You then need to call your chosen phone company to request connection to its network.

Monitored alarms

Are you installing a monitored security or fire alarm? Monitored alarms connect to the telecommunications network and a registered cabler is required to install them.

Data cabling

A registered cabler must install data cabling for computer networks that connect to the telecommunications network.

Job completion form

Your registered cabler must provide you with a signed form at the end of the job that states that the work meets all the relevant standards. This is sometimes incorporated into your cabler’s invoice.

Registration card

You can check that your cabler is registered by asking to see the registration card. The registration card will tell you which register your cabler is listed on.

You can verify that your cabler is registered by checking the registers on the websites of registrars accredited by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). The registrars are listed at the bottom of this fact sheet.

A registered cabler must follow rules set out by the ACMA. The rules make sure the cabling is done safely and that the cabler has the skills to do the job.

Cabling that is installed incorrectly can result in your phones, faxes and internet or alarm systems not working properly. Faulty cabling can also increase the risk of safety hazards such as electrocution.